Saturday, May 19, 2012

Up up up...up

Hiking in Menaggio was excellent! My first day I decided to do a hike to the Tobi waterfall then continue on towards Switzerland. Obviously I didn't make it to the border, but I did  manage to find some really awesome mountain villages. There a number of different trails one can choose from and they eminate from 3 different points in the town; the top, the north side of the waterfront, and the south. I chose to hike from the top of the town and I mean tippy top. It is incredible how they build all of these towns on the mountain sides. It took me about 40 min to surpass the very top of the town (also the oldest part of the town, the castle dating back to the 1500, it was destroyed in 1523, only the outer walls and part of a tower remains) continuing on the cobblestone road I came to the extremely wealthy village of Loveno, just above Menaggio.

Views from Lorenzo











Above this village I came to a church (San Lorenzo) and soon came to the piamuro, the great pasture where the trails begin.

I traipsed on into the woods and came to the waterfall at around 12 and decided it was an excellent place for lunch.

Tomatoes, bread, tuna, almonds, and dried mango. I then continued on to Cardano and Barcola, both extremely small and old villages. I arrived around early afternoon, nap time apparently, so the villages were deserted.

Below, views from the trail leading to Cardano and Barcola.


I decided to call it a day and I returned to the hostile where I grabbed a shower then I headed into the town square to smoke my cuban. I sat on a bench in the sun over looking the lake. I couldnt imagine a more pleasent view for a smoke.


I started to make my way up to the hostle around 5 and met up with my new buddies in the common area. (increadible views) We spent the evening drinking beer and eating pizza and then headed to bed early.








No comments:

Post a Comment