Monday, September 24, 2012

Salina, my love

We spent our firdt day relaxing in our hill top bungalow with a nice breeze.

Piazza in Santa Marina, one of my favorite places to be... ever.
For dinner we got the free bus to go out to eat in Lingua, the next town over.


The next day we went on a boat trip to filicui and alicudi the two farthest islands. This was apparently not the best idea, the seas were very rough and I was already coming down with the travel bug, so vomiting over the side like a pirate was only expected. But, better out than in. After this smelly little mishap we had a nice time swimming and walking around the islands.
Filicudi

Lava runs on the back of Filicudi
one of the few cafes on Alicudi, this island didnt get electricity until 1991 
 

We got back to salina late in the afternoon and had some dinner.

 
 
The festival of Santa Marina was taking place today and fireworks and dancing in the piazza were starting at midnight. We were totally going… until I fell asleep in a chair on the porch. 
So fireworks were seen from the bungalow.

Our second day we had planned to take the boat to Panarea and Stromboli but seas were still very rough and I was still not in full control of my gag reflexes. So after some grumbling on my part, I really wanted my mom to see the volcano, we decided to rent a little car and do a tour of the island. This was very fun.
View of Pollara from the lookout castle between Malfa and Pollara 
 

 
Afternoon drinks

Our last day we went swimming with rex...


and packed our stuff for the overnight ferry to Naples. This was a good choice on my part. Brava me. Overnight ferrys are good, overnight trains are bad.  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment