Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Up and down and all around to Agerola we go

(4/15/14)
I arrived in Agerola around 4pm this afternoon, I ended up racing to catch the local bus from Napoli Centrale instead of taking the local train then catching the same bus. Smart choice, it was a beautiful ride and I'm sure it would have been even prettier had it been sunny. That said DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt without dramamine. You WILL vomit. 
 

Once we wound our way to the town (the last stop on the bus) it was so foggy you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face. I wandered into the first building I walked into (literally almost walked into a wall) lucky for me it was a cafe and the woman led me through the fog to the hostel. Once I settled I of course went back and had a cappuccino and thanked her again. After my coffee I wandered up the path to the small “park” they have. 



Of course I couldn’t see anything because of the fog but it was still kind of cool.

There was some sort of giant abandoned building that I, of course, went into stealth mode jumped the fence and throughly checked out.


It was pretty awesomely creepy and the fog offered the perfect sneaking around cover.

Feeling pretty confident with my sneaking I decided to jump the cliff wall and walk down the narrow path below the abandoned building to see what I could find underneath.


Looks like storage for... logs? Boring.


 Tomorrow I will head back after my hike and hopefully snap a few pix of the unfoggy view.

After a successful adventure I walked back to town and went to the grocery. THERE IS A MOTZZERELLA FACTORY IN THIS TOWN. And its right across the street from where I''m staying. Dinner.


Update & some history!

It is believed that Agerola was first inhabited during the Bronze age. The area was (and still is for the most part) known for its agricultural wealth. There are many farms and because it is so densely wooded its main export during the middle ages was wood for boats. The area is also known for its milk... hence the Fior di latte (mozzarella from cows, its usually from buffalo) factory in town.

The Park Colonia Montania



The park was first founded by General Avitabile in the first half of the 19th century where he built his castle and riding stables overlooking one of the best views on the Amalfi coast. The building that stands now was built over the remains of the General's castle during the Fascist era as a summer camp for young adults. The high reliefs on the front are by Pellini. 

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful and interesting photos. I appreciated and enjoyed greatly.
    Best wishes from Brazil
    Geraldo

    ReplyDelete